Sunday, August 1, 2010

Port Dickson International Triathlon

This is it! My virgin Olympic Distance for PD Tri 2010!

To be honest, I hadn't been running a lot since Gunung Angsi in May. The only runs I had prior to PD were the short trail run in Eco-X, occasional brick transition runs after cycling with the 5 Bintang gang and TTDI roadies, and one miserable TTDI kiara hill loop the week before the triathlon, where Uncle Patrick and I totally missed each other after planning to run it together.

I did sorta train for the swim, in my new condo pool. Uncle Pat and I had debated over whether it was a 20m or 25m pool. Just to be safe, and follow our 'gut' feel, we decided it was more than 20m but less than 25m.

Back to PD. Cycling was no problem, since I was doing long rides with 5 Bintang riders and PCC every weekend. My concern was the night before the race. I had a dinner symposium with a Prof from Austria who came to give a lecture to my key external experts. No way I could skip this one. That'd be a CLM (Career Limiting Move). It would begin at 5pm and end about 9pm, with the post-symposium get together that may last till about 10-ish.

I had two options. Drive to PD early on race day and race. Or drive to PD late at night, get a good sleep, and race. I went with option 2. Which turned out to be the best of the two. Although I had trouble sleeping after sneaking quietly into Meng,Jenn and Keat Seong's Condo after midnight, (from all that driving and being alert without caffeine) at least I was relaxed before the race. No worries on where to get my race number, setting up bike, etc..

And...here I am again at the race start of the PD Tri. But this time, OD. (I did a sprint in 2008). The energy was really good all around me. Familiar faces and friends. All ready to go! Big crowd. About 600 over participants! It was a wave start, so we Women Open & Veteran ladies went in with the Men Veteran category. I had Debbie and Unc Pat with my start, so that was nice. :D

Off we go! 1.5km swim around the marina. There was supposedly this corner around the marina where everybody took a short cut around. Well, I didnt even realized it! I was just trying to avoid swimming off-course, and followed behind the bubbles in front of me. I would probably have shaved 5 mins off my swim time had I not kept changing between freestyle and breast stroke to check on my course in the sea. I guess its the fear that I would swim off course because I had witnessed a few swimmers doing that before. Now THAT would be a worse waste of time than changing strokes to check on my direction..

Hardworking photographers!

So Im out of the water..in 35 minutes! It would take approx 2 minutes to run along the beach and showers to transition..And off for the 40km ride!


First thing to look for while on the bike - peloton!! While most triathletes would be focusing on getting their rhythm for some good hammering on the big-0 chain, I was looking ahead for any pelotons in sight! haha.


The disadvantage of having to start in waves, is that you miss out on all the great pelotons that will form during the bike length while you are still in the water. But oh well, if I can't find it, I will make one! And so I did. I found some workhorses. 661, if by some random chance I see you again, or you stumble by this blog, THANK YOU.


I'm back in the transition in 1 hr 11 mins according to my speed meter. Now on to the run.

Running out of transition for the last (and most 'mental') section of the race :D

There were so many photographers lined along the road leading out from the transition, that although I was hurting from hammering on the ride, I sucked it all up and smiled for all of them! So what you see here in the pictures is not just any smile, its a suffering smile. Can't afford to stop, walk, and get my photo taken!


I suffered major cramps in my left quad..so painful that I had to stop and massage it. I thought "It's over for me. Now I have to walk. Oh no.." Then an angel passed me some salt pills. I popped two in without any water, and ran to the next water station and gulped down some 100 plus. I felt better almost instantly and started to pace with some runners.

I met Yuri along the way. We were both going about the same pace. I paced him, he paced me, and on the very last climb of the run, I blew up and got dropped behind..We had told each other before that, that if one of us falls behind, just keep going. I had him in sight the whole 500m back to the finishing mat.


I always liked this part of the race. All the YB and Dato's waiting there to present you with the medal, an ice-cold dripping wet Power Bar towel, 100 plus and water!

Yes! The finish line! I actually held back and paused to let him go over first, in order that photographers get a good shot of me. Hehe. Not worth racing to the finish just for time and share the photo finish with another person. :P

Few metres behind Yuri. :D Thanks for the run, pal!

Yay!! My moment of fame :D

10kms in 1 hr 56 sec! Just on the dot according to my watch..Looks like I still have it. With no training for the run, lack of sleep the night before, I think I did pretty good on the run. That's the advantage of being in a young body that can cope with sudden long distance runs. For now. Might as well use and abuse! Hahaha.

Here are the official results from the website:

Official race time finish : 2:54:06

Sub-3! Yay! :D

3 comments:

  1. Well done Ling!
    It's your first time and what an awesome timing there.
    Nice report too.
    C u in future tri events ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nik! well done to you too! i bet u did well!

    ReplyDelete